The origins of the Faculty of Materials Science and Ceramics date back to 1949 when the Faculty of Minerals, later renamed into the Faculty of Ceramics, was set up at the University of Mining and Metallurgy. Its present name appeared in 1971 and was related to the inauguration of the 'Materials Science' course - the first one in Poland and one of the first in Europe. Since then, Chemical Technology and Materials Science have become equivalent education and research directions.
Students graduating from the Faculty of Materials Science and Ceramics have strong technological backgrounds, traditionally associated with the manufacturing of ceramics, glass, building materials and refractories, but also with a comprehensive engineering knowledge in the domain of design, processing and characterization of novel materials for specific applications in different branches of modern industry (e.g. electronics, energy production, aircraft or automobile industry), materials for medicine and environmental protection as well as analytics and quality control.
The Faculty Council is entitled to confer scientific degrees of Doctor, Doctor Habilitatus and Professor in chemical and engineering sciences with the specialties: chemical technology, materials engineering and chemistry.
Strategic goals of the Faculty of Materials Science and Ceramics are the following: to maintain the position of modern research and education centre having a nation-wide importance and strong links with industry, to develop co-operation with other faculties, universities or colleges in order to create new interdisciplinary specialties and to improve international relations in research and education.